26 July 2013

Tuberose


It's no secret that I love tuberose. I fell head over heels the first time I smelled this bundle of loveliness. The sweet intoxicating fragrance always puts me in a good mood. This year was my third attempt at growing tuberoses. I purchased heirloom bulbs this time from a micro garden in nearby Ann Arbor. Watching the leaves emerge and grow was exciting but the anticipation of smelling the flowers was driving me crazy! I could hardly wait for the flowers to pop open. This morning, however, I got a real treat. Taking a peek out back I saw this beauty and I immediately strolled over to take a whiff. Natural perfume! The weather early this year just didn't seem to want to cooperate.  While we had little snow the temperature stayed below what is ideal  for planting.  Instead of waiting I decided to use plastic sandwich bags as a "greenhouse".  It worked but a waste of bags really so I'll have to come up with another option for the next season.  

Mexican Single bulb
Leaves emerging
Mexican Single buds


Along with the singles I purchased the double Pearl Tuberose but those are moving a little slower.  A lot of greenery but no flowers yet. Fingers crossed!

Double "Pearl" bulb
Double Pearl buds
     


Also from the micro garden I bought Abyssinian Gladiolas. I hadn't heard of these before but they were described as being the only gladiolus that had a fragrance. The scent is  lightly sweet with a mildly powdery note. It's a beautiful flower that took about three months to get to it's 2 foot tall state.

No comments: